Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Was going to post about laws, got distracted

No, this isn't actually as bad as it sounds.  I've been doing research for my previously mentioned post(probably posts) on legally defensible science.  It's interesting, and I still do intend to do that writing, probably at this point as a series of posts.  Too much to go into in one single post-what to do, different standards under different laws, etc.   For example, the EPA can and does have two different sets of good lab practices, under two different laws.   And then I checked my personal e-mail when I got home from work (no, I don't violate the internet policies at work.  I'm no fun, I know) and found a very interestingly titled e-mail in my box-"Nation's Chemical Law Not Broken".   Now, I'm a member of the American Chemical Society, which is blatantly and by definition a group for industry-chemical manufacturers, even if they have to deal with academic chemists as well.  I do believe that industry is important.   I was honestly stunned by this blatant advertisement by the Competitive Enterprise Institute-I am not going to link them-claiming to be "a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest group that studies the intersection of regulation, risk, and markets" in my e-mail when their website on the very front page, second level title claims "Free Markets and Limited Government".  I'm not so sold on this impartiality.  They claim that modernization of the Toxic Substances Control Act-an act that I know from working in the chemical industry that it's easy enough to find exemptions to for everything other than PCBs, dioxins-claimed to be some of the most toxic compounds known to man, asbestos and lead paint(this you can still get away with, by the way, just generally not in places children are expected to be) if you work at it-is going to endanger safety by requiring more demonstration of safety.   I couldn't wrap my head around the level of . . . intellectual dishonesty and cognitive dissonance between the e-mail I had been sent and the actual article.  And now I wonder who sold them my name and e-mail address.   I always worry that I will find out it's the ACS.  I hold on to my identity as a chemist, and believe it's important to be a member of professional organizations.  Every time I hear something from them, however, they skirt the line between science and ignoring science for outright industry advocacy a little too closely.   Have they finally overstepped:?   Did any other ACS members get this e-mail?

No comments:

Post a Comment