Thursday, October 20, 2011

Really, C&E News?

As you can see from the name of my blog, I'm a member and pretty big fan of the American Chemical Society. So I was pretty disappointed when I read what is apparently a locked article, entitled "When Scientists Betray Employers" in the October 10th issue. Because I think it doesn't happen? No, not at all. I know intellectual property theft happens. And whatever I may think of specific patents(and my objection to some things being patentable is the biggest reason I am pretty immune to all the calls of "We need patent examiners" but that's generally not chemical discoveries) I do think that chemists and companies need ways to protect their ideas. So I read the article, I was interested. And the article was dripping racism. They only talked about cases involving people of Asian descent or citizenship. They talked little about motivations beyond money. As far as I can tell, their only other argument was that everyone from China(US citizen or not) is operating as a Communist? Talking about laws in China vs. the U.S., sadly relegated to about 1 final paragraph, would have been interesting. Talking about solutions would have been interesting. But blanket Asian distrust? Put me off the entire argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment