Tuesday, August 30, 2011

HPLC

Ha. Maybe I will post this month. Though it's older-from last September. I was working at a company I've been at before, though this time doing HPLC as well as ICP. Very exciting, I've wanted to do HPLC. Also, it seems like the wave of the future. I'm analyzing amino acids, using pre-column derivitization. it's pretty cool, actually.
However, that instrument is being a little punk this week. Already, I've changed column and pre column, had to totally replace one solvent bottle due to algae growth, and deal with blockages, since it looks like I didn't get it totally in time. Very frustrating. However, I am already getting to be so much more confident on that instrument.
My favorite things about the technique so far-
1. Getting an appreciation of just exactly how high pressure 200 bar really is. If it's not 100% lined up and tightened there are leaks. and I get to see them. really fast. They aren't lying when they say high pressure.
2. automatic mixing-really most forms of automatic chemistry-is also just really fun.
3. Pretty chromatograms. I do get very pretty peaks-symmetrical, thin, and no tails. I like success.

What I don't like about this technique-
leaks, blockages, anything else. See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment