Monday, May 3, 2010

Speed vs. accuracy

A big part of my job currently is getting accurate results quickly. Does this bag of product meet or exceed the required value of this given element? We need to know as soon as possible. Generally this is actually something I get excited about-I like to feel that my research is doing something for somebody somewhere. I want to know that people are using my results to make their product better, or make something new. But the question also becomes-if I don't find the right answer and that costs them a large batch of product, there's going to problems if this happens frequently. And fast analysis is generally more prone to errors. So how do you balance them out?
A lot of what I've done that has helped me is using an autosampler. I can have one thing running while another is digesting. Getting the pieces for digestion all dry is a problem, but solvable.
Some of this also seems to be natural-I think quickly, I answer test questions quickly, I was faster in grad school running ICP than anyone I trained. Some of it is experience. I know exactly what motions are fastest for doing this analysis, and that would change if I was using a different instrument.
So how do I learn that in cases where I don't already know it, and how do I balance out the need for accuracy and speed?
some of it comes down to simple advice I always see on career articles all the time-don't promise what you can't deliver. Sometimes it takes more than one day to get a good answer, sometimes confirmation of answers don't go quite as well as I'd hoped. If I'm doing the confirmation earlier than anticipated, I have time to go back and look more closely at the samples. I tend to run more sample replicates and run the same samples again to check for reproduceability. If the result isn't reproducable, it takes more time, pure and simple. I know people complain about this when airlines budget more time into their flights to avoid being counted as late, but if the shorter time estimates aren't achieveable, why does it help to see them? Give an estimate that is in line with reality, and recognizes that things will go crazy. You will need to redo things from time to time.
It also helps me to build in break time without losing analysis time. Once again, the autosampler helps this. If my mind is going fuzzy from squinting at too many small numbers on a computer screen, it helps to set up a bunch of data to collect, then leave the lab for long enough to grab a cup of coffee or water. That's not particularly news, I know. But it does help me be less likely to make some really stupid mistake. Which is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment